We would love to hear from you! What Earth-caring practices do you currently do? What practices would you you like to take up? How have you experienced Earth-care from Simplicity? Let us know in the comments section.
Caring for the Earth is something our whole family is passionate about. Between being active in the Boy Scouts and doing our own camping excursions up and down the east coast when we lived in Pennsylvania, the conservation mantra of "Leave No Trace" became pretty ingrained into us. We enjoy doing things that keep the land clean and untouched and cringe whenever we see evidence of people disrespecting the land.
Now that we have a lavender farm, we have learned new ways to care for the earth with our business. These are the 7 ways our lavender farm cares for the earth.
1. First, I'm sure you've heard our spiel many times by now: our products are made with all natural ingredients handcrafted right on the farm. We have said it so much that I'm sure we mutter it under our breaths when we sleep at night. This statement though is one of the biggest reasons we got into the business of a lavender farm. We think it is so important to get away from harmful chemicals that harm us and the Earth. By switching to our all natural products, we take an important step forward in caring for the Earth together.
2. Did you know our product packaging is 100% recyclable? Once you have finished using our product, simply wash out the packaging and toss it in your recycle bin. Both our aluminum and plastic bottles and sprayers are able to be recycled. When we ship, our cardboard boxes are obviously recyclable and the packing we use is bio-degradable. No styrofoam packing peanuts from us! This has always been an important value to us as we decided how to package our product. While we are not yet able to fully get away from plastic bottles, we are comforted by the fact that our plastic can be reused in the future.
3. Have you seen our vegetable garden? If not, that's okay. We haven't really seen it much lately either. Last year our garden was totally flooded out and we weren't able to get anything from it. In 2019, though, we saw an amazing year for our garden. We grow several different kinds of vegetables and herbs that we get to use for our own meals and give to local food pantries. Our garden, like the rest of our farm, never sees chemicals on it and is always cared for by hand. We are grateful for our local farmers who feed us year round, but we also know the negative side effects to some commonly accepted farming practices. We do not like the use of chemicals or processing in our food and know that, while a shelf life is important in our current supply chain, clean and healthy food is more important. So, we have our own garden to do our part in minimizing the need for us to add demand to that system.
4. Every year we enjoy planting several flower gardens alongside our lavender. Why do we do this? Looking out over our lavender farm and also seeing our sunflower bed and flower bed in front of our house certainly brings us immense joy. That's reason number 1. Reason number 2 is equally as important. We like to provide safe flower beds for our local pollinators. Bees and butterflies as you may know are in danger of becoming extinct and desperately need protection. According to the University of Washington, bee endangerment comes from three things: disease, habitat loss, and cell phones. (Check out the article here, it's very interesting.) While there is only so much we can currently do with our resources, we hope that we can create a more suitable habitat for our local pollinators to thrive. It is one step, but one we are passionate about.
5. Finally in our gardens, I want to reiterate the fact that we do not and never will use chemicals on our plants. We do not use pesticide or herbicide. We let the weeds and grass grow naturally around the plant. Whether we let them grow fully or do some healthy weeding around the plants is a conversation for another day. We keep our plants healthy naturally and by hand. We also harvest by hand which means we continue to reduce our carbon footprint by not using heavy machinery to do our work.
6. Caring for Earth means more than plants and dirt; you are part of the earth, too! Caring for people is our business and we can't claim we care for the Earth if we don't also care for the people who are part of it. We make our products to help people get away from the chemicals and drugs that prevail in our medical system. While we greatly appreciate the science and miracles our doctors and nurses are able to perform, we also know that not everyone needs chemicals to help with day to day things. We will never claim that our lavender is a one-stop, cure-all miracle. We know that life changing medicines are necessary. But, we also know that adding in some all-natural options like our products make for a well rounded experience that compliments the work of our doctors and nurses. And sometimes, we know that a sniff of our inhaler might remove the need for an extra dose of pain meds. Whenever that happens, that's a huge win in our books.
7. Finally, we believe community is a huge part of environmental care. We believe in sharing resources that make life better for everyone. We believe in bringing people together (when safe and not in the middle of a global pandemic) to foster a new way of living. By embracing community, we can gain all kinds of new perspectives of how to live an all natural, healthy, clean, and environmentally friendly life. Nature shows us every day just how important community is. Biodiversity is necessary for our planet to thrive and diversity in our own community is important for us to thrive. We think these go hand in hand.
If there is anything I want you to hear from this blog today, it is that, while not always perfect, we try to take as many steps we can to care for the Earth. These are not huge steps and by ourselves, they might not even make a huge difference. But, if the whole Simplicity Community decides to do better and take a little step here and there towards caring for the Earth, we will be able to make massive changes. We cannot ever do it by ourselves, but we can always do a lot when we do it together.
Happy Earth Day!
Get out and enjoy the great outdoors our beautiful planet home has to offer.
Products Today's Post Goes Well With:
We are so excited to share with you lots of updates and information about us, our farm, and our products. We are just starting out, so please give us some time to settle into our posting routine. Check back often for new posts.