We're going to be honest with you. The rain has got us super down. It just won't stop!! Take a look at this.
If you can see it, the Farm is the little blue dot in the middle of the pictures. The top picture shows that we've received around 10 inches of rain in the last 30 days. Which, as the bottom picture shows, is about 200% of our normal precipitation.
It is so wet! The field is mud. The rows are mud. The grass grows right before our eyes. So do the weeds. And we can't get out there to do the spring maintenance that needs to be done. The excitement about our plants that we had over the past few weeks is quickly diminishing and the fate of our plants is increasingly unknown.
I wish I had some good news for you today. Unfortunately, this is the life of a farmer. We have heard from many of our local farmer friends that they are going through the same thing. And with no end in sight, I fear it's going to be a rough year for the farming community. Let's hope and pray that the weather patterns change ASAP.
But, all of this cloudiness does occasionally give us something amazing. Every now and then, we get a break from the rain and the sun pops out just in time for some of the most amazing sunsets on the farm.
Being as wide open as we are means that we get some pretty incredibly views of the sky. From sunrise to moonset, the views are always incredible - storms, stars, sunsets, sunrises, rainbows, you name it...we see it.
Today, I wanted to take a break from all the rainy gloom and show you the nicer side of living on this farm. Let's take a break together, take a breath or two, and enjoy some of the many sunsets of Simplicity Lavender Farm.
Pretty amazing, isn't it. Which one is your favorite? Let us know in the comments.
Enjoy your day and stay well!
Today's Post Goes Great With:
As a lavender farm, we are obviously obsessed with this little flower. We all know how amazing lavender is for your bath and aromatherapy. But, did you know that lavender is an amazing companion to all sorts of outdoor adventures? Let's explain.
1. Bug Repellant
Raise your hand if you have tried our bug spray. If you haven't, what are you waiting for? It smells great and it really works. Bugs hate lavender...like really hate it. Add in our mix of peppermint and lemongrass essential oils and it's a super repellant. There are other "all natural" bug sprays on the market that really aren't all natural - they use chemically-synthesized products - or are just plain gross. Many of them probably use fragrance oils which have no effect; they just smell "nice." When buying an all natural bug spray, do your homework and make sure you are buying real products that have an effect.
2. Bug Bites
In the event you decided not to use an all natural, lavender based bug spray, you can still use lavender to help you out with the bugs. Lavender's soothing property helps to remove the bite and sting from a bug bite or bee sting. You should never apply essential oil directly onto your skin. That's why we dilute lavender oil, and add in some lemongrass oil, with coconut oil in our bite soother roll on. This roll on gives you all the benefits of the essential oil without the side effects of, you know, having your skin burned off from high concentrated oil.
3. Lip Care
If you're anything like me, you probably forget to take care of your lips while out and about. No matter how many times Mom tells me, I seem to always forget. After a day on the water or hiking, my lips are always burnt, chapped, or both. Lavender essential oil is a great healer and works hard to soothe those burnt, chapped lips. We combine ours with frankincense, the king healer, and peppermint, for a nice cooling feeling, for superb lip care.
4. Sore Muscles
There is no better feeling than that tired, kind of sore feeling after a long day of biking or hiking. It's a feeling that says, "I've worked hard and loved every second of it." As great as that feels, it doesn't feel that great by the time we're ready for bed. Lavender essential oil can be used to soothe and relax tired, sore muscles. We like to use our body balm on our sore muscles at the end of the day. By the next morning, we're ready to get back out there again.
5. Sleep Well Before and After
Sleep is the most part of our day anymore. We too often don't get enough of it. And a sleepless body can't perform nearly as well as a rest-filled one. Getting a good night's sleep will make all the difference between a great outdoor adventure and one that is much more complain-y, if you know what I mean. Be sure to get the best rest you can by using lavender at night. While lavender won't directly put you to sleep (I know, everyone says it), it will help calm your mind from the busyness of the day to make sure you fall deep into that glorious REM sleep. Spray some lavender on your pillow or sheets with a good linen spray made of pure lavender essential oil, not fragrance oil. The essential oil will actually do stuff, while the fragrance oil will just smell fragrance-y.
6. For Your Fur Babies
Do you take your pups out with you? I know after a day out, my puppy usually comes home smelling like the leaves, mud, and who knows what else he happened to roll around in. Maybe your dog likes to jump in the river or the lake for a good swim. We love having our dogs with us, but don't always love the smell that comes with it. Spray some lavender on them or wash them off with an all natural lavender soap. The lavender will have all of the same effects on their bodies as it will yours: it will calm them down, help to calm their tired muscles, make them smell great, and give them a great deep sleep for all the fun to come the next day. Remember, though, lavender is for dogs only...keep it far away from other animals.
Did you know that lavender does all of these great things? It's not just for bath time anymore. It really is the perfect outdoor adventurer's companion. If you're anything like us, you really can't live without it. Let us know in the comments how you like to use lavender when you're out in the great outdoors or what you are going to do differently now that you know all of these great facts.
With spring and summer right around the corner, be sure to stock up on your favorite lavender products now. Check out our outdoor products mentioned in this blog post:
We would love to hear from you! What Earth-caring practices do you currently do? What practices would you you like to take up? How have you experienced Earth-care from Simplicity? Let us know in the comments section.
Caring for the Earth is something our whole family is passionate about. Between being active in the Boy Scouts and doing our own camping excursions up and down the east coast when we lived in Pennsylvania, the conservation mantra of "Leave No Trace" became pretty ingrained into us. We enjoy doing things that keep the land clean and untouched and cringe whenever we see evidence of people disrespecting the land.
Now that we have a lavender farm, we have learned new ways to care for the earth with our business. These are the 7 ways our lavender farm cares for the earth.
1. First, I'm sure you've heard our spiel many times by now: our products are made with all natural ingredients handcrafted right on the farm. We have said it so much that I'm sure we mutter it under our breaths when we sleep at night. This statement though is one of the biggest reasons we got into the business of a lavender farm. We think it is so important to get away from harmful chemicals that harm us and the Earth. By switching to our all natural products, we take an important step forward in caring for the Earth together.
2. Did you know our product packaging is 100% recyclable? Once you have finished using our product, simply wash out the packaging and toss it in your recycle bin. Both our aluminum and plastic bottles and sprayers are able to be recycled. When we ship, our cardboard boxes are obviously recyclable and the packing we use is bio-degradable. No styrofoam packing peanuts from us! This has always been an important value to us as we decided how to package our product. While we are not yet able to fully get away from plastic bottles, we are comforted by the fact that our plastic can be reused in the future.
3. Have you seen our vegetable garden? If not, that's okay. We haven't really seen it much lately either. Last year our garden was totally flooded out and we weren't able to get anything from it. In 2019, though, we saw an amazing year for our garden. We grow several different kinds of vegetables and herbs that we get to use for our own meals and give to local food pantries. Our garden, like the rest of our farm, never sees chemicals on it and is always cared for by hand. We are grateful for our local farmers who feed us year round, but we also know the negative side effects to some commonly accepted farming practices. We do not like the use of chemicals or processing in our food and know that, while a shelf life is important in our current supply chain, clean and healthy food is more important. So, we have our own garden to do our part in minimizing the need for us to add demand to that system.
4. Every year we enjoy planting several flower gardens alongside our lavender. Why do we do this? Looking out over our lavender farm and also seeing our sunflower bed and flower bed in front of our house certainly brings us immense joy. That's reason number 1. Reason number 2 is equally as important. We like to provide safe flower beds for our local pollinators. Bees and butterflies as you may know are in danger of becoming extinct and desperately need protection. According to the University of Washington, bee endangerment comes from three things: disease, habitat loss, and cell phones. (Check out the article here, it's very interesting.) While there is only so much we can currently do with our resources, we hope that we can create a more suitable habitat for our local pollinators to thrive. It is one step, but one we are passionate about.
5. Finally in our gardens, I want to reiterate the fact that we do not and never will use chemicals on our plants. We do not use pesticide or herbicide. We let the weeds and grass grow naturally around the plant. Whether we let them grow fully or do some healthy weeding around the plants is a conversation for another day. We keep our plants healthy naturally and by hand. We also harvest by hand which means we continue to reduce our carbon footprint by not using heavy machinery to do our work.
6. Caring for Earth means more than plants and dirt; you are part of the earth, too! Caring for people is our business and we can't claim we care for the Earth if we don't also care for the people who are part of it. We make our products to help people get away from the chemicals and drugs that prevail in our medical system. While we greatly appreciate the science and miracles our doctors and nurses are able to perform, we also know that not everyone needs chemicals to help with day to day things. We will never claim that our lavender is a one-stop, cure-all miracle. We know that life changing medicines are necessary. But, we also know that adding in some all-natural options like our products make for a well rounded experience that compliments the work of our doctors and nurses. And sometimes, we know that a sniff of our inhaler might remove the need for an extra dose of pain meds. Whenever that happens, that's a huge win in our books.
7. Finally, we believe community is a huge part of environmental care. We believe in sharing resources that make life better for everyone. We believe in bringing people together (when safe and not in the middle of a global pandemic) to foster a new way of living. By embracing community, we can gain all kinds of new perspectives of how to live an all natural, healthy, clean, and environmentally friendly life. Nature shows us every day just how important community is. Biodiversity is necessary for our planet to thrive and diversity in our own community is important for us to thrive. We think these go hand in hand.
If there is anything I want you to hear from this blog today, it is that, while not always perfect, we try to take as many steps we can to care for the Earth. These are not huge steps and by ourselves, they might not even make a huge difference. But, if the whole Simplicity Community decides to do better and take a little step here and there towards caring for the Earth, we will be able to make massive changes. We cannot ever do it by ourselves, but we can always do a lot when we do it together.
Happy Earth Day!
Get out and enjoy the great outdoors our beautiful planet home has to offer.
Products Today's Post Goes Well With:
We are so excited to share with you lots of updates and information about us, our farm, and our products. We are just starting out, so please give us some time to settle into our posting routine. Check back often for new posts.